Safe Biking and Running
- Be sure to have a headlight and rear flashing light on your bike when riding in the dark. Wearing reflective clothing is also very helpful.
- Never ride against traffic.
- Wear a helmet and never ride with headphones.
- Obey traffic signs and signals.
- Be sure to stop at all stop signs.
- Keep both hands ready to brake.
- Use hand signals
- Follow lane markings - Don't turn left from the right lane. Don't go straight in a lane marked right turn only.
- Don't pass on the right - motorists may not look for or see a bike passing on the right.
SLOPD Tips for Safe Running
- Run against traffic so you can see and be seen
- Watch out for vehicles coming out of or turning into driveways, side streets or alleys
- Wear reflective gear - armband, shoes, etc.
- Wear ID tag with name of emergency contact, blood type, any allergies, etc.
- Head phones - only wear 1 earpiece to be able to hear sounds around you
- Carry cell phone for emergencies
- Run with a friend
- Be sure to tell someone where you are running, estimated time out/back and how far you plan to run.
- Have a whistle or other noisemaker to use in an emergency
This page was printed from respectslo.com